Meetings

September 17th, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

Garden City Fire District

Approval of Past Minutes: Motion by Brian, 2nd by Howard, vote was unanimous.

Public comment: Chris Coray asked what the plans are for the white truck. Perry spoke with the state guy and was told that now that the district has the new 5 ton, the old truck is no longer ours. It will be towed to Randolph where the state will sell it for parts.

Items for Follow-Up:

None

Items for discussion:

Pump Testing (Mike): Pump test was done on Engine 40, which passed and is working well.

Engine 40 Foam System (Mike): The foam pump system has not been working since Mike has been on the department. The pump system is being looked at and the repair will be a few thousand dollars. Mike will be given a bid and then the decision will be made whether the repair will take place this year or will be held off until the new budget. Randall asked where the budget is sitting currently. Right now we are about 75% of the way through the year, but the expenses are at about 58% of budget, not including the boat. With the boat factored in, we are at about 67% of budget. However, repairs are much higher than were expected this year and there are some large expenses still to come before the end of the year. Tiffany recommended holding a budget hearing in October to amend the current year budget to move expenses between categories and also to add in a transfer from the capital projects fund to cover the boat purchase. If the funds are needed, then the transfer will be made. If other expenses remain lower than budget at the end of the year, the transfer will not be made.

Vehicle/Equipment/Station Service Requests: There is a broken sway bar link on Brush 43 again. Mike will look at doing the repair in-house and will send it out if needed.

Purchase Requisitions: None this time.

Equipment Status: Everything is working well except the items mentioned above.

Responses: 3 dumpster fires, 1 heavy equipment fire, 2 CO Calls, 3 fire alarms 7 medical assists, 1 rescue (1 adult and 2 children on a floatie that got blown away from shore too far), rescue of 2 swimmers, joint training with Idaho and Utah state parks.

Utah state parks received the radio frequencies from Idaho so that the Utah radios will be able to communicate with the Idaho boat radios. The fire district can also program their radios to communicate with Idaho. The cost would be about $2800. Mike is planning to just continue with the back door communication through dispatch for now until the state parks see how well the radios work and then this might be a budgeted item for a future year.

New or Miscellaneous Business: Brett England has resigned has captain and fire fighter due to personal and family issues. Mike has told him that his stuff will be available and if he wants to come back before his certifications expire he is welcome to. Mike has offered the captain position to Brandon Weatherston and if he declines it will be offered to Shane Rasmussen.

The ISO rating has dropped from a 6 to a 7. Mike has called and left a voicemail and sent an email to ISO. The summary letter stated that there is a deficient water supply due to Swan Creek not meeting the standards. Mike initially thought it was due to a lack of communication, but he has found that it may actually be due to the water supply in Swan Creek not actually meeting standards. Mike is going to confirm that with ISO and then ask if Swan Creek can be broken out to receive a separate ISO rating. Sweetwater and the city have invested a lot of money in their systems and it is in unfair to have the whole district lowered by one area. The district has 30 days to send ISO a letter requesting a review of the rating, and then has 60 days to issue a letter stating what changes will be made to the district to bring the ISO rating back up. Not all insurance companies base rates on the ISO rating. Often they call Mike to ask questions about the fire protection capabilities in the area, however, the rating can affect homeowners’ insurance rates. Howard asked Mike to send a registered letter to ISO and to the HOA president to find out what is going on. Brian also felt that the county should be held partially responsible for approving the subdivision and building permits when the water system may not be adequate.

The Budget Hearing/Christmas Party will be scheduled for December 4th at 6pm.

Randall texted the Swan Creek HOA president who stated he has not received the letter or been notified of the issue. ISO was supposed to send it to all of the HOA presidents. Randall also stated that there is a sign in Swan Creek that states do not use the fireplaces and he asked if Mike had anything to do with it. Mike stated that he did not, but Ideal Beach had been having issues with people burning in ones that shouldn’t be burnt in.

Perry Wakefield’s term ends in December and he will not be resubmitting his name. The position will be posted in October. The second individual whose term would be ending is Jenny England, however, since she was put on just recently, the county stated she would finish out this term and continue through the next term.

Randall brought the extra key for the file cabinet and gave it to Brian House, so the two keys are now held by Randall and Brian.                   

Randall completed the online open and public meetings act.

Review and Approval of Current Expense Invoices

Motion to adjourn by Brian, 2nd by Howard, vote was unanimous. Meeting was adjourned at 7:08pm.

AGENDA – December 2014 Fire Board Meeting & Budget Hearing

December 2014 Fireboard Meeting  / Public Hearing on 2015 Budget

 

The December meeting of the Garden City Fire District Board is scheduled for 6:00 P.M. on Thursday December 4th, 2014 at the Garden City Fire Training Room located at 145 West Logan Road, Garden City, Utah.

Agenda

Approval of Past Minutes

Public Comment

Items for Follow-Up:

Automatic Aid Agreement with Cache County

Items for discussion:

Public hearing for 2015 budget

Adopt 2015 Budget

Board Officer Elections

 Vehicle/Equipment/Station Service Requests 

Purchase Requisitions

Equipment Status

Responses

New or Miscellaneous Business

Review and Approval of Current Expense Invoices

NOTE: The Fire Board may vote to go into closed session pursuant to Utah Code 52-4-5.

Notice of Special Accommodations: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals needing special accommodations (including auxiliary communication aids and services) during this meeting should notify Mike Wahlberg at the Garden City Fire District (435) 994-2460 at least (1) day prior to the meeting and please leave a message.

AGENDA – September 2014 Fire Board Meeting

October Fireboard Meeting

The October meeting of the Garden City Fire District Board is scheduled for 6:00 P.M. on Thursday, October 16th, 2014 at the Garden City Office Building located at 145 West Logan Road, Garden City, Utah.

 Agenda

Approval of Past Minutes

Public Comment

Items for Follow-Up:

Legal representation/policies and procedures

Fireboat SOP’s

Storage Shed

Garden City Public Safety Grant

ISO review

Items for discussion:

New Board Member Applications

Christmas Party          

Vehicle/Equipment/Station Service Requests

Purchase Requisitions

Equipment Status

Responses

New or Miscellaneous Business

Review and Approval of Current Expense Invoices

NOTE: The Fire Board may vote to go into closed session pursuant to Utah Code 52-4-5.

Notice of Special Accommodations: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals needing special accommodations (including auxiliary communication aids and services) during this meeting should notify Mike Wahlberg at the Garden City Fire District (435) 994-2460 at least (1) day prior to the meeting and please leave a message.

August 2014 Fire Board Meeting Minutes

Garden City Fire District

Board Meeting

August 21, 2014

Board Members in Attendance:  Perry Wakefield, Howard Pope, Brian House, Christina Gracie

Others in Attendance:  Mike Wahlberg, Tiffany Wahlberg, Anita Weston, Nadine Sprouse, Chris Coray, Scott Tolentino

Approval of Past Minutes:  Motion by Christina, 2nd by Brian, vote was unanimous.

Legal Representation and Policies and Procedures:  Perry was able to get a couple of names to contact for legal questions.  He will have a more definite proposal for next month.

Financial Statements:  Tiffany did not have the financial statements with her and will bring them for next month.

Fire Boat SOPs:  Mike is working with DNR to put together these SOPs, as most of the calls will be dealing with DNR.  He has put together a use log that will be kept in the boat.  Howard asked Mike to add a column for a place to note any service needs and/or condition of the boat.

Storage Shed:  Mike stated that in looking into a storage POD, it doesn’t look like the pricing is a better deal than a shed.  The disadvantage in a POD is that it is limited to an 8’ width.  For a 12×14’ shed the cost would be between $2,500-$3,000 from companies in Salt Lake.  Mike wondered if the board wanted to put it out for local bid or look at other alternatives.  Brian would like to look at local bids.  He would like to have it moveable.  Mike will make sure it is under the size that a building permit would be required.  He will also make sure that it is moveable.  Brian also stated that the city limit is 160 sq ft and he thinks the fire district may be exempt as a government entity.  Christina would also like to see it bid locally.  There is a tree behind the station that wouldn’t be in the way of the actual shed, but would cause issues for construction.  The board would like Mike to get bids and look at removing the tree.  If there is a waiver on the building permit fees, then Mike will look at a larger size.

24th of July (Past and Future):  Mike stated that the 24th went smooth.  There were no issues reported outside of the city limits, where fireworks were restricted.  There was a good turnout at the city park for fireworks.  The city had sent out a text letting everyone know that is where it could be done.  Some individuals thought the city was putting on a show.  There were some people from out of town who had brought fireworks that they were not allowed to light.  Mike quickly got a permit and set up to safely light off those fireworks and put on a little show.  Mike would like to move the fire department summer BBQ to the 24th of July.  The fire district would still do the fire safety and will try to get donations toward doing a firework show as part of the BBQ.  Some of the fire fighters have volunteered to form a committee with the city and chamber to try to get donations for that event.  The goal would be to promote fire safety, provide a fun event, and bring the fireworks to a safe area, rather than having individuals light fireworks in dangerous areas on their own.  Howard stated he would like to see people donate to a large show rather than spending a lot on the cheap, small ones they could do on their own.  This would be a replacement to Heritage Days.

Scott Tolentino stated it is a great idea as long as Raspberry Days and the 24th are not too close together.  It really puts a lot of stress on businesses and volunteers to have two large events two weekends in a row.  Mike stated that he feels he has enough volunteers to get the help even if those involved in Raspberry Days do not want to help.  Brian said he likes the idea of selling burgers for $1 to help recoup the cost of the event.

Raspberry Days Breakfast:  The breakfast went smooth.  The numbers were down from the year before, probably due to the wreck in Logan canyon, therefore the revenue was down a little from the year before.  The net was about $2,700, which was roughly $700 less than the year before.  There is a check prepared to give the donations to Tara Wride.  The firefighters and ward members involved were all in agreement that the funds should be donated to her to help with medical bills.

Current Fire Restrictions:  Although conditions have changed, there are no changes to the fire restrictions, so no fires are allowed in National Parks, in the unincorporated county areas fires are allowed only in approved campgrounds.

Garden City Emergency Services Grant:  Mike would like to see as many fire fighters as possible become EMTs.  He understands that with the past issues, the fire board would most likely not be willing to pay for the cost of the training.  Mike has asked the city to provide the grant money for tuition.  There is $3,000 available for fire fighters and other members of the public.  This should almost cover tuition and gas for 3 individuals if they ride together.  Christina asked is this would cover the cost to do intermediate.  Mike stated that it would, however, the EMT association will cover that cost if the EMT has been on the service for one year.  The city has agreed to provide the funds provided an MOU is put in place that the EMT association will reimburse the cost if the EMT stays with the association for at least one year.  This would allow the program to be ongoing.  Mike will work with the ambulance association to put together that agreement.  Chris asked what would happen if the EMT will say they will only do half.  Mike said the city will only agree if the EMTs will reimburse in full.  One other option Mike is looking into is getting someone from Cache Valley to come over to teach the classes.  The downside to that would be that there is a requirement for ride-along and it may be difficult to set that up if not going through Bridgerland.

Vehicle/Equipment/Station Service Requests:  Driver’s side mirror needs tightening-done.

There are enough new fire fighters to do a Fire I class.  Travis Hobbs stepped down as captain and Andy Stokes took his place.  There will be a need for 4 new helmets.   There is also a need for 8 lights for the helmets.  The lights would be given to those who are Fire I certified.  The others will just get the standard light.  Perry asked about the lights that attach on the chest.  Mike stated that he had ordered a couple to demo and they did not work out.  There will also be a need for more t-shirts, especially in larger sizes.

Tiffany stated that the funds from last year’s breakfast funds were set aside to use for equipment and the suggestion had been to use it for helmet lights.  The guys were just deciding what to purchase.  Motion by Christina to purchase the helmets and helmet lights, 2nd by Brian, vote was unanimous.

Equipment Status:  Everything is in good condition.

Responses:  One boat fire that the district was able to provide assistance with the fire boat, hazmat incident on vehicle rollover in Laketown, 2 auto accidents, walk-in medical assists, 21 medical assists, search and rescue assist, small fire started by floating lanterns

New or Miscellaneous Business:  Utah Retirement Systems did an audit of the fire district.  The result was a favorable report.

Chris Coray asked how the Agreed Upon Procedures went last month. Tiffany reported that it went well with only one noted issues, which was discussed fully last meeting.

Motion to dismiss by Howard, 2nd by Brain, vote was unanimous.

Items for follow-up:

  • Legal representation & policies and procedures
  • Financial statements
  • Fire boat SOPs